Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Volume in Squeezelite client & Camilla DSP Loudness function
As a user of the squeezelite renderer & Camilla DSP I have a minor issue that I'm not sure about.

Right now, at least in my understanding, for the Loudness filter in Camilla DSP to work you need to turn down the volume with CamillaDSP, not by using a LMS client.
Thats no big deal, I'm fine with that, but it's less than ideal. Obviously I'd prefer to turn down the volume with an LMS client and still have a functional Loudness function. 

Does anyone know how to get Loudness working when only using a LMS client? Or am I wrong in my assumption in the first place?
Right, filters like Loudness are processing CamillaDSP volume changes.

- For renderers including Squeezelite moOde sets CamillaDSP volume to 0dB so that when the client i.e. LMS volume is 0dB the overall volume is 0dB.
- For MPD we include a custom MPD-to-CamillaDSP volume proxy that allows MPD/moOde knob volume changes to be proxied to CamillaDSP volume and thus a Loudness filter works.

If you are doing LMS/Squeezelite then maybe something like PiCorePlayer would work?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-23-2024, 12:52 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Right, filters like Loudness are processing CamillaDSP volume changes.

- For renderers including Squeezelite moOde sets CamillaDSP volume to 0dB so that when the client i.e. LMS volume is 0dB the overall volume is 0dB.
- For MPD we include a custom MPD-to-CamillaDSP volume proxy that allows MPD/moOde knob volume changes to be proxied to CamillaDSP volume and thus a Loudness filter works.

If you are doing LMS/Squeezelite then maybe something like PiCorePlayer would work?

Thanks Tim,

that clarifies it for me. And I'll stick with moOde. CamillaDSP integration in PiCorePlayer is nowhere near moOdes level of ease of use. ...at least as far as I know.
...will have to look into MPD
(02-23-2024, 01:29 PM)OtttO Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 12:52 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Right, filters like Loudness are processing CamillaDSP volume changes.

Thanks Tim,

that clarifies it for me. And I'll stick with moOde. CamillaDSP integration in PiCorePlayer is nowhere near moOdes level of ease of use. ...at least as far as I know.

Hi, Otto.

MPD is not involved so looking at MPD won't help.

What's needed is an equivalent custom Squeezelite renderer-to-CamillaDSP volume proxy.

To get an idea of what I mean, have a look at the HowTo that Roderickvd started a couple of years ago: Loudness compensated volume control with CamillaDSP..

Several different renderers are discussed there but not the Squeezelite renderer. I assume (but don't know) that similar configuration shenanigans are required for it.

Regards,
Kent
I don't where, but sometime ago I saw a lms camilladsp volume implementation.

With camilladsp 2.0 you can control loudness without having to control the volume with camilladsp.
So camilladsp loudness is possible with hardware/external control if you can read back the current volume.
(02-23-2024, 07:08 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 01:29 PM)OtttO Wrote:

Thanks Tim,

Hi, Otto.

MPD is not involved so looking at MPD won't help.

What's needed is an equivalent custom Squeezelite renderer-to-CamillaDSP volume proxy.

To get an idea of what I mean, have a look at the HowTo that Roderickvd started a couple of years ago: Loudness compensated volume control with CamillaDSP..

Several different renderers are discussed there but not the Squeezelite renderer. I assume (but don't know) that similar configuration shenanigans are required for it.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks Kent,

Rocerickvd seems to have gone almost all the way. With sufficient coding skills I'd probably have a go to implement the rest. Unfortunately that's beyond my reach.

Just tried the latest version of moOde with MPD functionality turned on and squeezelite renderer off. Volume control over the player interface seems to be nicely implemented into CamillaDSP there. That's great.

...still decided to stick with my LMS+moode/squeezelite set-up for a number of reasons.
(02-24-2024, 03:46 PM)bitlab Wrote: I don't where, but sometime ago I saw a lms camilladsp volume implementation.

With camilladsp 2.0 you can control loudness without having to control the volume with camilladsp.
So camilladsp loudness is possible with hardware/external control if you can read back the current volume.

Thanks bitlab - I'd be very interested in the lms camilladsp implementation.

I know about the new volume features in the latest camilladsp - in principle. Not sure if I understand the full extent of what you can do with these new features. But one thing I know: extra hardware for volume control is no option for me
(02-24-2024, 03:46 PM)bitlab Wrote: I don't where, but sometime ago I saw a lms camilladsp volume implementation.

Do you mean via the Aux options in the Loudness filter?
https://github.com/HEnquist/camilladsp?t...e#loudness
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@Tim Curtis yep that's the one. You can assign the additional 4 aux faders to several volume/gain settings in the pipeline.