Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Spotify Distortion Crackle
I have an RPI 4 and when I stream Spotify I can hear distortion in some songs. It isn't most of them and it isn't often. One example is Hello by Adele, when she first belts out "Hello from the other side" on the end of side it crackles. If I listen directly through the AVR or through the Roku I don't get the crackle so it appears to be coming from the PI. I tried the HDMI out into the receiver, and through the USB into a DAC, neither resolved the issue. I also updated from 7.1 to 7.2 and I still get the crackle. It occurs at various volumes and didn't go away when I turned the parametric EQ off. I also tried adjusting the ALSA volume down to 90, and the PEQ down to -6. None of that seemed to resolve the issue. The crackle does seem to be more prominent in the right channel than the left, but I haven't really tested that.. maybe it's just in my head. I did do a search and my apologies if I missed this being resolved in another thread. 

I'm happy to provide any additional information and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Bruce
(06-24-2021, 02:12 AM)AudioSQ Wrote: I have an RPI 4 and when I stream Spotify I can hear distortion in some songs. It isn't most of them and it isn't often. One example is Hello by Adele, when she first belts out "Hello from the other side" on the end of side it crackles. If I listen directly through the AVR or through the Roku I don't get the crackle so it appears to be coming from the PI. I tried the HDMI out into the receiver, and through the USB into a DAC, neither resolved the issue. I also updated from 7.1 to 7.2 and I still get the crackle. It occurs at various volumes and didn't go away when I turned the parametric EQ off. I also tried adjusting the ALSA volume down to 90, and the PEQ down to -6. None of that seemed to resolve the issue. The crackle does seem to be more prominent in the right channel than the left, but I haven't really tested that.. maybe it's just in my head. I did do a search and my apologies if I missed this being resolved in another thread. 

I'm happy to provide any additional information and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Bruce

Hi,

I have seen this if the Spotify volume is set to 100% in the app, I tend to have it around 80 - 90% in the app & 100% in Alsa, controlling the volume on the pre-amp.
(06-24-2021, 05:46 PM)grasshopper Wrote:
(06-24-2021, 02:12 AM)AudioSQ Wrote: I have an RPI 4 and when I stream Spotify I can hear distortion in some songs. It isn't most of them and it isn't often. One example is Hello by Adele, when she first belts out "Hello from the other side" on the end of side it crackles. If I listen directly through the AVR or through the Roku I don't get the crackle so it appears to be coming from the PI. I tried the HDMI out into the receiver, and through the USB into a DAC, neither resolved the issue. I also updated from 7.1 to 7.2 and I still get the crackle. It occurs at various volumes and didn't go away when I turned the parametric EQ off. I also tried adjusting the ALSA volume down to 90, and the PEQ down to -6. None of that seemed to resolve the issue. The crackle does seem to be more prominent in the right channel than the left, but I haven't really tested that.. maybe it's just in my head. I did do a search and my apologies if I missed this being resolved in another thread. 

Bruce

Hi,

I have seen this if the Spotify volume is set to 100% in the app, I tend to have it around 80 - 90% in the app & 100% in Alsa, controlling the volume on the pre-amp.

You're my hero! I played with the volume in four other places.. I don't know why I didn't think to try that one, duh. I tested it and it initially seems to have fixed the problem. WooHoo! Thanks!
(06-24-2021, 06:10 PM)AudioSQ Wrote:
(06-24-2021, 05:46 PM)grasshopper Wrote:

Bruce

Hi,

You're my hero! I played with the volume in four other places.. I don't know why I didn't think to try that one, duh. I tested it and it initially seems to have fixed the problem. WooHoo! Thanks!

Glad it worked out for you.