Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: BBC Radio 320k Stream MPD Error
Sorry to fill up the forum with posts, Tim Confused

I'm trying to play one of the preinstalled BBC Radio 320k stations but am getting this error:

Quote:MPD error

Failed to decode http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/man...music.m3u8

Any ideas? Thanks!
I believe that you have to be in the UK to use the 320K streams.
Correct, the BBC geo-fences their nice 320K streams and they will not play outside of UK etc :-(

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-14-2018, 11:08 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Correct, the BBC geo-fences their nice 320K streams and they will not play outside of UK etc :-(

Dang... uncool, BBC.

Strangely, I just tried to get around this by using selective routing on my AsusWRT Merlin router to route my RaspberyPi through a London-based VPN server, but while moOde tells me that its external IP is indeed the expected London-based IP I'm still getting the same error within the moOde player.
Interesting network hack :-) My Router is an older RT-N66U with one of Merlin's awesome firmwares from back then. What model Router are u using?

I wonder how BBC has implemented geo-fencing. Knowing that would probably help with finding a way to get access to the streams.
Enjoy the Music!
I'm using an Asus RT-AC87U running the most recent AsusWRT Merlin firmware.

If you click on the VPN section through the Merlin interface you can add OpenVPN clients (in addition to setting up a OpenVPN server connection to connect to your own home network). I have an private VPN account so just added one of their UK based servers as a client and chose to only route my RPi through it.

Seems like BBC would just use the client's IP, but if this isn't working I guess it must be something else.
I'm sure its more sophisticated that just client IP. In any case there are prolly whole sites devoted to VPN type things.

Mind if I ping you sometime about your 87U and Merlin?

I had to shelve an AC88U with stock ASUS f/w cuz of dual-band issues. I reverted to my trusty old N66U running Merlin f/w. I still have the 88 but have not kept up with Merlin's firmwares so maybe its time to reload it and try it out again.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(11-15-2018, 02:17 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Mind if I ping you sometime about your 87U and Merlin?

Sure, no problem.

In terms of BBC, I'd just assumed it was IP only because I remember being able to watch shows on their iPlayer with only VPN routing in the past. Maybe they've gotten more sophisticated since then though.
Cool.

When u get a moment mark your OP as SOLVED

Thx
Enjoy the Music!