Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 project
(07-05-2024, 02:28 PM)hifinet Wrote: An inexpensive reclocker for ProtoDAC:

Forum member @ECELO confirmed recently that the Inno-Maker HiFi DAC HAT ( InnoMaker ) functions well as an inexpensive reclocker at $32.99 USD. It does not have the best quality clock crystals, but sound quality is reported to be very good. It will certainly be an improvement from the I2S signals of the RPi, especially for 44.1 files. Based on the photo, the clock crystal is an SCTF clock oscillator (located near the midpoint at the top, marked X1 and X2 on the PCB). Disclosure: I have no affiliation with this product, and no personal experience.

Thank you @hifinet for passing this along. I may well get one to use with my ProtoDAC(s). Two things come to mind:

a) Are the data pins on the GPIO isolated input from output? There needs to be some easy way to get the reclocked data up to the ProtoDAC above this hat. Looking at the 40Pin illustration in the User's Manual, I can't quite scheme it out.

b) I'm using isolated 5VDC power on my ProtoDAC via the 'cut pin vertical extender' method. Would that power go down to the InnoMaker hat, with the isolating extender below the InnoMaker hat, or should the extender go between the InnoMaker hat and the ProtoDAC? .

Since you haven't seen/touched/used one of these, I realize this may not be something you can answer. Perhaps @ECELO can help here.

Thanks to you both,   skip
I think all of the GPIO pins of the Inno-Maker are pass through. There is no isolation. The Inno-Maker DAC is a master DAC and reclocks the I2S on the GPIO.

I would put the isolating extender between the Inno-Maker and ProtoDAC.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
Lately, I am building a subminiature 6N16B tube output as the output stage of the TDA1387. 

As per circuit diagram attached, I use the same power supply (B+180V as opposed to 200V) as before in Lampizator and Audio Note tube output. No capacitor to the input grid and 56 ohm resistor for I/V. 

This time something funny happened. Static noise when MoOde was not playing any song. When music started, it was sort of broken with noise. It felt like the tubes were not totally turned on (I may be wrong). After I powered it off and then on again, no output. I took out the 1387x8 DAC chip and inserted it into my original PCB (original design, no output stage added), no sound either. Looked like the DAC chip was faulty.

I just order 4 more pieces of these 1387x8 chip but I need to find out why this happened before I plug in any chip into this 6N16B board.

I have checked the tube pinout and connections a few times as the 6N16B pinout is rather unusual. I couldn't find any mistake.

My underlying assumption is since this is SRPP configuration, it can be used for current output DAC. Just take out the input grid capacitor and adjust the I/V resistor value. Even if this is meant for only voltage output DAC, it shouldn't cause damage to the 1387.

Any idea?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-06-2024, 04:00 AM)thomaschan Wrote: Lately, I am building a subminiature 6N16B tube output as the output stage of the TDA1387. 

As per circuit diagram attached, I use the same power supply (B+180V as opposed to 200V) as before in Lampizator and Audio Note tube output. No capacitor to the input grid and 56 ohm resistor for I/V. 

This time something funny happened. Static noise when MoOde was not playing any song. When music started, it was sort of broken with noise. It felt like the tubes were not totally turned on (I may be wrong). After I powered it off and then on again, no output. I took out the 1387x8 DAC chip and inserted it into my original PCB (original design, no output stage added), no sound either. Looked like the DAC chip was faulty.

I just order 4 more pieces of these 1387x8 chip but I need to find out why this happened before I plug in any chip into this 6N16B board.

I have checked the tube pinout and connections a few times as the 6N16B pinout is rather unusual. I couldn't find any mistake.

My underlying assumption is since this is SRPP configuration, it can be used for current output DAC. Just take out the input grid capacitor and adjust the I/V resistor value. Even if this is meant for only voltage output DAC, it shouldn't cause damage to the 1387.

Any idea?

I would check both the TDA1387 and the 6N16B independently first. Use some 430R I/V resistors and listen to the TDA1387 to be sure there isn't any noise. By the way, there are more sellers of TDA1387 modules now, and the prices are much lower (35% lower).

Then test the 6N16B circuit and measure DC voltages at the plates, cathodes and grids at idle to be sure everything is functioning properly. If it all looks good, put the two together.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
Hello all....
Just want to tell you, that during the last weeks, I was able to build my first ProtoDAC.......and what should I say: I´m overwhelmed !!!!
I had NO idea, how brilliant this little DIY project will sound.
As I wrote in my "introduce myself" post, I´ve also reactivated my Sony Amp, only for Music-listening and spent some money for better Speaker-Cables (QED XT25).
That was the next Ah-Ha experience: even the cables made a BIG difference!!!!

The DAC for now is equipped with the "standard-parts" and it gives me goosebumps every time I sit and listen!
But (of course) I will tinker with some other parts......already got some Elna Silmic 2 for the Panasonics....will mix them maybe.
And there is a pair of Russian K 77 Polycarbonate Capacitors waiting.
I will order some other parts as well for further tests (HiFi-Collective has soooo much wonderful stuff!!!)......it´s really exciting!!!!

My platform is a RPI 3B+ and at first, I tried the latest MoodeAudio Version 9.0.4 (64Bit)
I am not really successful with it, as there is a lot of "stuttering" whilst playing music via Airplay!...no problems with the radio-stations....
I´ve read a post in this forum, talking about the same problem.
It sounds like a buffering issue.....changing the buffering didn't help.
Another thing was, that the left and right channel were swapped....
Some days ago I constantly ran into a system-freeze, only by changing the radio-channels....had to restart the RPI , but again freezing and now "out of phase"...

Then I swapped to the latest 8.3.9 Version, but this time 32Bit!
Well, that works (almost) like a charm!.......the stuttering appears only very few times, during a longer listening-session.
Channel and phase were correct right from the start and no freezing!

My idea is, that it´s a problem with only 1 GB of RAM in the RPI (especially in the comparisons between 64 and 32 BIT).
I will try to borrow a RPI 4 (4GB).....then we will see.

I also will follow Gabsters idea of feeding the DAC directly with the three U.fl-cables (and so without the three resistors) from the FiFoPI Q7.

A lot of "work" and big fun!!!!!

Thank you for your project!!!!!.....I will report again
RasPi 3B+, Ian Canada PurePi II, FifoPi Q7 II, ProtoDAC (self built)
Are you using CamillaDSP?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-25-2024, 02:05 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Are you using CamillaDSP?

Yes, I’m using CamillaDSP. Chunksize is set to 4096, queuelimit is 1.
I used these settings in 9.0.4 64Bit, as well as in 8.3.9 32Bit.
RasPi 3B+, Ian Canada PurePi II, FifoPi Q7 II, ProtoDAC (self built)
There is definitely an issue with Airplay (shairport-sync) audio glitches when running CamillaDSP. Other renderers like Bluetooth or Spotify Connect have no issues.

CamillaDSP adds some latency to the ALSA pipeline which may be affecting the clock sync/timing part of shairport-sync. It's an issue that should be posted to the shairport-sync Git repo but I don't have the time for it.

If you are only using CamillaDSP only for the V2-ProtoDAC config (polarity inversion + camilla volume), then try turning CamillaDSP off and switch to ALSA polarity inversion. It's in the MPD Options section of Audio Config.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Recently I built a 6N16B Russian subminiature tube output in SRPP configuration as output stage of the TDA1387 DAC with MoOde 9.0.6. Fun and very cute. This is the Mikrolampizator by Lukasz Fikus of Lampizator. Highly recommended to any DIYer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg9WqhtLzhI

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-06-2024, 01:22 PM)hifinet Wrote:
(07-06-2024, 04:00 AM)thomaschan Wrote: Lately, I am building a subminiature 6N16B tube output as the output stage of the TDA1387. 

Any idea?

I would check both the TDA1387 and the 6N16B independently first. Use some 430R I/V resistors and listen to the TDA1387 to be sure there isn't any noise. By the way, there are more sellers of TDA1387 modules now, and the prices are much lower (35% lower).

Then test the 6N16B circuit and measure DC voltages at the plates, cathodes and grids at idle to be sure everything is functioning properly. If it all looks good, put the two together.
Finally solved the problem. It was a stupid mistake. I also successfully setup the latest MoOde 9.0.6 (see my other post). Thanks.