Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Moode 8.3.0 RPi 1B+ - UPnP-Renderer doesnt show up
(03-20-2023, 12:46 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If your music collection is on a UPnP Media Server then the moOde Library is out of the picture. It's only applicable for  collections on locally attached storage (USB Drive or uSD Card) or NAS via Samba or NFS file sharing.

The UPnP Client for MPD in moOde functions as a UPnP Media Renderer. Your UPnP control point (VLC, etc) should list "Moode UPNP" as a renderer.

ok, but calling it "UPnP Client" is rather confusing to me...

Meanwhile I have tried a simple hack that works, by mounting the UPnP Media Server as a local fs using djmount. Let me detail here for the records, maybe other users might be interested:

# Install djmount
    sudo apt install djmount
    sudo mkdir /mnt/UPNP

# Test
    sudo djmount /mnt/UPNP
    ls -l /mnt/UPNP/*
    sudo umount /mnt/UPNP

# Make permanent
    sudo tee /lib/systemd/system/djmount.service << EOF
    [Unit]
    Description=DJMmount
    Documentation=man:djmount
    After=network.target

[Service]
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/djmount -o iocharset=utf8,allow_other /mnt/UPNP
    Type=forking
    Restart=always
    RestartSec=5s
    StandardOutput=syslog
    StandardError=syslog
    SyslogIdentifier=djmount
    User=root
    Group=root

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
    EOF

# Run the djmount service
    sudo systemctl enable djmount
    sudo systemctl start djmount
    sudo systemctl status djmount
    ls /mnt/UPNP/*

My music can then be accessed by ls /mnt/UPNP/Universal\ Media\ Server/

I was expecting, after reboot, that "UPNP" appears in the left MoOde menu "library", since there is an entry in /mnt, but nope. Then I added a link

sudo ln -s /mnt/UPNP/Universal\ Media\ Server/ /mnt/SDCARD/my-ums

Still, "Update Library" made nothing, but Configure / Library / Regenerate database worked: I was able to see in the Library menu, in SDCARD, the directory my-ums and browse and play the files.

The caveat is that djmount is rather buggy with large collection, and also, since MoOde scans each file to generate the thumbnails, it costs a lot of time (an hour in my case).

A solution might be :
- replace djmount by another more recent daemon, but which one?
- disable the thumbnails generation, but how ?

I have also checked another solution without UPnP, by exporting my musing with Samba; but the database regeneration is still slow (some minutes) because of the thumbnails. Is there somewhere a flag to disable the thumbnails generation? It might be a very interesting option for me.
There used to be this option built in, but it was buggy as you have found. Tim commented about it in this thread
----------------
Robert
(03-20-2023, 07:33 PM)hifinet Wrote: Bullseye is probably too heavy a lift for 1B, since my 2 struggles with it. In the Raspberry Pi news release discussion on Bullseye, they mention that it will work on 1, but it will be slow.  So either wait, wait , wait for your 1 using Bullseye, or go back? Unfortunate, because I think the newer MPD versions sound better. One other interesting thing to mention with a 3B+ with the 8.3.0 64 bit OS powered from Allo Kali and a 3.7A SMPS. When doing Update Library over Wifi, the power LED blinks. I have not seen that before.

The load on my 1B is not particularly high during operation, at least in idle mode.
So that alone should not prevent the UPnP renderer from working.
Unfortunately, I can't say how the load is during music playback via UPnP, since I don't even get that far.

I would basically also like to use the newer features that were introduced with the more recent releases.
When did Moode switch to Bullseye, or what is the last version before Bullseye?
I would also like to test the CamillaDSP on the device. Is there a Buster version with CamillaDSP?

Edit:
Version 7.6.1 seems to be worth a test.
As far as I read correctly in the release notes this is the last version based on Raspian Buster and has already integrated the CamillaDSP.
I'd be curious to know if your UPnP renderer is just not showing up on its own or if it actually isn't working.

What I mean is: could you try and add it manually?

i.e. I use Airmusic.app on Android which connects to UPnP renderer it finds on my network, but I can also manually specify one via IP + Port.
Listening with the latest moOde on a RPI zero w with a MiniBoss DAC PCM5122 32bit 384kHz and a Volt+ AMP on a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 100 speakers.

pi@moody:~ $ moodeutl -m 
CPU: 1.0 GHz, LOAD: 35% 47C | MEM: 63% used | DISK: 39% used, 4.1G free | PHP: 7 workers
@psychofaktory

(03-20-2023, 03:54 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: It does begin to sound very much like it is the 1B that's the deciding factor here.  I'm afraid I don't have one on which I can experiment.

Hmmm. I don't have one either but I do still have a Pi ZeroW which uses the same Broadcom BCM2835 SoC and ARM1176JZF-S CPU (albeit 1GHz instead of 700MHz).

I just burned image_2023-03-14-moode-r830-lite.zip into a spare uSD card, popped it into this Pi ZeroW, and started it running as a WiFi client on my LAN. I'm seeing the UPnP renderer show up in various control points and tools, just like all my others (Pi3A+, Pi3B+, Pi4B).

This makes it hard for me to blame the Pi 1B's aging chip family.

Regards,
Kent
(03-21-2023, 05:06 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @psychofaktory

(03-20-2023, 03:54 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: It does begin to sound very much like it is the 1B that's the deciding factor here.  I'm afraid I don't have one on which I can experiment.

Hmmm. I don't have one either but I do still have a Pi ZeroW which uses the same Broadcom BCM2835 SoC and ARM1176JZF-S CPU (albeit 1GHz instead of 700MHz).

I just burned image_2023-03-14-moode-r830-lite.zip into a spare uSD card, popped it into this Pi ZeroW, and started it running as a WiFi client on my LAN. I'm seeing the UPnP renderer show up in various control points and tools, just like all my others (Pi3A+, Pi3B+, Pi4B).

This makes it hard for me to blame the Pi 1B's aging chip family.

Regards,
Kent

Fair enough, I send to my Pi Zero W over UPnP quite often too.  I guess that's good news in that it should work for @psychofaktory , but bad news in that we still don't know why it isn't...
----------------
Robert
(03-21-2023, 05:06 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Hmmm. I don't have one either but I do still have a Pi ZeroW which uses the same Broadcom BCM2835 SoC and ARM1176JZF-S CPU (albeit 1GHz instead of 700MHz).

That's right.
However, the Raspberry Pi 1B uses the LAN9514 chip for its Ethernet connection, while the Pi Zero W uses the Cypress CYW43438 chip for its Wifi connection, which is also used on the Raspberry Pi 3B.

My guess is that there are incompatibilities between the LAN9514 and the multicast packets used with UPnP.
Something seems to have changed here between Raspian Buster and Bullseye.
(03-21-2023, 06:19 PM)psychofaktory Wrote:
(03-21-2023, 05:06 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Hmmm. I don't have one either but I do still have a Pi ZeroW which uses the same Broadcom BCM2835 SoC and ARM1176JZF-S CPU (albeit 1GHz instead of 700MHz).

That's right.
However, the Raspberry Pi 1B uses the LAN9514 chip for its Ethernet connection, while the Pi Zero W uses the Cypress CYW43438 chip for its Wifi connection, which is also used on the Raspberry Pi 3B.

My guess is that there are incompatibilities between the LAN9514 and the multicast packets used with UPnP.

If you suspect something is up with the Ethernet interface on the 1B then swap to WiFi and see if the issue still persists.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-21-2023, 06:19 PM)psychofaktory Wrote:

That's right.

Could be...but  it seems a better audience would be  the gurus who hang out on the Raspberry Pi Forum (I'd go there first) or the counterpart github repo (I'd go there only if I had a pretty clear idea of the source of the incompatibilities, but that's just me).

If you had a USB-Ethernet adapter (or USB-WiF adapter for that matter) lying around, you could bypass the Ethernet aspect of the LAN9514 as a test of your hypothesis. For example, I just grabbed an Insignia-branded "USB 2.0 to Ethernet Adapter" out of the pile, rummaged around in the pile some more to find an micro-USB to USB-B pigtail, plugged everything together, and killed the onboard WiFi transceiver. This device contains an ASIX AX88772B Ethernet controller. The Pi ZeroW is now connected to the LAN via Ethernet and is still discoverable as a UPnP renderer.

Too bad I don't have a Pi 1B/B+ in the same pile but I gave all mine to a local school to play with when the Pi 2B series came out.

Regards,
Kent
I just tested with my Pi-1B both Ethernet and WIFi and no issues whatsoever. I set Server type to "OpenHome" in UPnP Config and "Moode UPNP" renderer showed up in Linn Kazoo after a bit.

This indicates no hardware incompatibility between Pi-1B and UPnP stack.

Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub